What is Neurokinetic Therapy?
Aug 15, 2023
I treat the Why, not the What and that's what makes all the difference!
Let me explain, yesterday I treated a client whose shoulder and neck have been stiff, sore, stuck since ... forever!
She put it down to hunching her shoulders at work, or where she holds her stress, and whilst that's defo not a good posture to hold, or healthy habit to form, it only explains some of the problem behind her pain.
If I was looking for what, I'd have had my answer; sore shoulder, feels tight, clients says it feels stuck, give it a massage, should be good!
But no actually, by working through my protocol, I found that her upper back muscles were weak, her brain couldn't find them anymore, and so, as our bodies do in the name of efficiency, (not to be confused with efficacy) is it had gone right over to the opposite side of her body, and decided to put extra pressure, and added workload onto her hamstring (big muscle at the back of her thigh).
It was giving the back of her thigh muscle a good massage that allowed her back muscle to come back to life, and, because that back muscle comes within range of some of the muscles that allow us to pull and push our shoulders, her shoulder felt freer too!
This is how I work: I hear you when you explain the what, but then I ask myself why and go looking for that root cause of things. It means that weird and wonderful combinations like the one above are uncovered every day for me, but more importantly, it means that you are being treated in a way that gets long-lasting results.
So, if you are more interested in fixing the why, than wasting time on the what, then I can help you!
To get you out of pain quickly and durably, one of the main techniques I use is called Neurokinetic Therapy, (NKT). I use NKT in almost every session because it gives me a precision plan of treatment to follow that gives my clients lasting change and immediate relief from their physical pain.
Here's 10 things I'd like you to know to understand this technique better:
- Neurokinetic Therapy (NKT) is a therapeutic approach that aims to address dysfunctional movement patterns and alleviate chronic pain through the reprogramming of the brain's motor control center, that's the part of the brain where movement originates. This is why it's so effective, because the changes happen at the brain level, not just at the body level of you.
- NKT combines principles from various disciplines such as neurology, anatomy, and manual therapy to assess and correct faulty movement patterns. It's super holistic and multidiscplinary, which allows it to treat a very wide range of issues, like Lumbago, Sciatica and Back Pain, to issues with swallowing, or trouble with your pelvic floor.
- The therapy is based on the concept that the body's movement patterns are controlled by the central nervous system, and when there is an injury or trauma, compensatory patterns may develop, leading to pain and dysfunction. Which is why, you may feel the pain in a part of you that isn't either problematic, or the source of the pain. NKT, helps me to correctly pinpoint exactly which part of you is problematic and needs treating, and which part of you is simply compensating for a problem elsewhere. It makes things efficient and effective!
- NKT utilizes muscle testing to identify imbalances and dysfunctional movement patterns in the body. Muscle testing involves assessing the strength and coordination of specific muscles and their relationship to other muscles. You can expect the treatment to be unlike you've ever tried before, unless you've already tried Applied Kinesiology for allergy-testing, or psychological coaching in the past.
- Once the imbalances and compensatory patterns are identified, NKT employs a series of manual therapy techniques, corrective exercises, and movement re-education to reprogram the motor control center and restore proper movement patterns. Like this, no stone is left unturned as we work together, as I'll help you to not only get out of pain, but stay out of pain, and prevent further injury.
- Once again, and I can't say it enough, NKT works and it stays working because the therapy aims to address both the symptoms and the underlying cause of the dysfunction by targeting the faulty neurological connections that contribute to pain and movement limitations. It's a brain fix, not just a body fix. Once your brain understands what not to do, it doesn't do it anymore!
- NKT is suitable for people of all ages and all fitness levels and can be effective in treating a wide range of conditions, including chronic pain, repetitive strain injuries, postural imbalances, sports injuries, and musculoskeletal disorders. I specialise in helping women who are over 40 because I am one, and I enjoy helping my clients get clarity and support in other parts of their lives that can be impacted when chronic pain occurs, like weight gain, and loss of confidence in themselves, feelings of failure, anxiety, depression and burn out.
- One of the reasons why I love NKT is because it's a collaborative process between the therapist and the client, with the client actively participating in the assessment and corrective exercises to enhance the effectiveness of the treatment. You really unlearn all the bad stuff, and simply amplify all the good stuff. It's not boring, or lengthly compared to other modailities, and I make things fun!
- So, in short, this therapy can provide both immediate relief and long-term benefits by re-establishing proper movement patterns, improving strength and stability, and reducing pain and dysfunction.
- I know how hard it can be to be stuck in a body that doesn't seem to work well, and even seems to be fighting with you all day long. The way I treat my clients is to give you back your hope, and to do my very best to deliver a a future that is pain free, it's as simple as that. Neurokinetic Therapy is the key tool that allows me to do that.
There are 3 levels of practioner, Level 3 being the highest and most experienced level required. I am a Level 3 certified practitioner. I treat my clients in person and online.
The best way to see how I can help you, is to book in a body tuning session with me here.
A Body Tuning session will allow you to come into my Zoom room, or into my office in Switzerland and get assessed properly inside and out, head to toe. It's an extremely valuable way to spend 45 minutes of your time as you've never had an assessment quite like this! It gives you total clarity on where your body is, where it should be, and how to bridge the gap.
People our age are often so exhausted by ill-fitting solutions, failed attempts and non-stick systems that a large part of my job is to really listen, show compassion and offer genuine solutions and answers to restore my clients' hope that their bodies are not broken.
So these Body Tuning sessions are essentially an embodiment session where you get to both see and feel your body in an incredibly holistic and informative way. It'll tell you about the current state of your nervous system, the health of your spine, your level of your balance and coordination and so much more.
So, if you're feeling off-centre/ out of whack/off-balance/on the back foot... insert a phrase of your choice , you want to book a Body Tuning session with me. It'll blow your mind and it's a lot of fun!
You can book in a body tuning sessions here.